Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Italian culture enlightens student

            Waking up to a boom of thunder and pouring down rain outside the apartment window created an apathetic mood amongst the students.  However, because my favorite part of Italy is the food, I became eager to start the morning.  When we finally arrived at the open-air market, everyone dispersed to explore the people, culture, and food.
I first noticed how the produce appeared to be brighter and less damaged than any produce I have ever seen.  My excitement rose as soon as I saw the red, juicy tomatoes and the shiny, big apples.  Cooking is a staple in my family, so the fresh vegetables and fruits increased my anticipation.  The cheese wheels were all stacked in an interesting fashion, and the instant I walked into the covered area of the market, the fresh seafood smell delighted my senses.  In the end, I decided to buy the big and small tomatoes, fresh basil, a head of garlic, and a loaf of bread to make bruschetta for lunch later on.
Observing the locals shopping at the market, I concluded that everyone is on a completely different time schedule.  A woman continued to study her book peacefully, as I browsed her wine options.  Another vendor also continued to read his newspaper in no hurry to help customers.  Time is not of the essence in this culture, at least not in the way Americans interpret it.  The Italians continued to linger from vendor to vendor reacting to each person as if they were family.  When I asked the butcher if a picture would be appropriate, he smiled and nodded enthusiastically.  He smiled at me as long as I held my camera up and even afterward.
           The love of people and food bring a community together at the open-air markets in Florence, Italy.  Immersing myself in this culture has been a difficult and exciting journey, and I am ready to learn more.




4 comments:

  1. I like reading your blog, makes me feel like I'm there, and the pictures are superb! Uncle Hub

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie,
    I am secretly traveling with you. I am that "fly on the wall...and on that piece of fruit in the market" in Madrid, Florence, Rome and throughout your adventure. My heart beams for you with each new horizon that breaks in your stories.
    The beauty of this all is that you will forever be changed...for the better. Your are having an opportunity (and the time) not only to expand horizons but to live your new experiences and let them create new bonds and ideas for new directions. Never lose this zest for life that allows something new to enter your life each and every day.
    So, next time you see a little "mosca" over there, swat it not, It just may be me sharing your fun!

    Cousin Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Uncle Hub, I am glad you enjoy them!

    Cousin Paul, your kind words and advice really impact me. Thank you for following me on my journey, and I am truly blessed to expand my horizons in a beautiful culture and to have family like you.

    Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alright I cleared my cookies and unchecked the remember me gmail sign in. I've been trying to post here for 2 weeks :) Let's see if this works. Love ya mom

    Yes! It worked, Grazie!
    Natalie Im enjoying your blog! It's wonderful to read your thoughts and observations!

    ReplyDelete