Wednesday, June 1, 2011

First footsteps in Italy

Off to Italy!  Today was a combination of emotions: stressed, nervous, excited, sad, and anxious!  The hardest part wasn’t the uncertainty of flying or trying to get my luggage the right weight… it was leaving Colby, my boyfriend and my best friend.  It feels like I won’t be back for quite awhile, and because of that, I was not ready to leave.  Everyone keeps telling me that all of the nerves will go away as soon as I get there; I hope this is true.  I just want to cling in my safe zone with my man’s arms wrapped around me in good ole Texas, but I know that God has bigger plans for me at this moment.  The further this plane flies to Madrid, the more I believe that.
Plane to Madrid
I already met a friend! Her name is Karen, go figure, and she is a middle-aged business woman from Germany! She is super sweet! She has given me insight on some of the fruits of Italy.  The house red wine supposedly is better than any drink you can order at a restaurant.  In her opinion, money spent on museums is not necessary because the beautiful art and architecture is everywhere!  We are also both disappointed in AA right now.  They provided a pillow and blanket of poor quality, they charge for alcohol, and the t.v is completely out of view.  She goes, “I will not let this ruin my trip.  Give me that seven dollar small bottle of champagne!”
Even though, I cannot watch the amazing movie “The Tourist”, I am going to get my eight hours rest! So goodnight readers!  Or, Buonasera!
Madrid to Florence
Picking up from where I left off… I just arrived to Madrid, Spain.  This culture has already impacted me.  Everyone is not in a hurry.  I only had an hour until my flight from Madrid to Florence and the staff hasn’t even confirmed it until just a few minutes ago.  This was difficult for me because the airport is huge and I have not brushed up on my Spanish in awhile.  Finally, I am at the right gate at the right time. 13:10, all aboard!
Florence – First few days
June 1, 2011- Wow! It has been a couple of days living in Florence, and many unexpected events have occurred. My luggage was not lost, which is a wonderful blessing.  Everyone made it to the apartment on the street “via dei servi”.  Six Baylor girls staying together has been fun so far. I have not experienced the nightlife yet, but the food is phenomenal.  The tour guides are Italian women who can speak clear English and are charismatic.  I finally found a café called I’grullo, and the owner Nikko is friendly and lets my friends and I use his internet for free.  I usually buy an espresso… I say “surprise me,” and he always brings a cappuccino charging me only 1 euro.
I have realized that blogging here will be difficult considering internet is always sparse in Italy.  I will try to blog often, so please check on me and leave a comment below with your thoughts and questions!  With love,
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment