Sunday, June 26, 2011

Big lessons in Italy

Living thousands of miles across the ocean from loved ones has definitely been the challenge of this journey. However, it is a challenge that is bittersweet. The distance has allowed me to find something I would have never seen before. I have learned many things, mostly about myself. Relying on myself to get through daily challenges was an important life lesson. Someone close to me once said, “It’s because I love you that I say that nobody wants to hear everything you have to say all the time.” It hit me like a brick wall. No one ever put it to me like that before. But I was determined to change. I started to understand that I am the only one who can make my life better and with God’s help.

This sounds like a simple lesson, but for me, this was not simple to understand. Now that I do, I look at myself and people differently. I am happier. Even with the negatives of working with a group of people here in Italy; I have learned to be happy through struggles, without constantly receiving comfort from people I love. Thank you to those who really love me enough to point out a weakness of mine that I was blinded of. It takes a true friend to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment