Wednesday, June 15, 2011

American experiences culture shock


         Ahh, Italia! The perfect romantic destination for two. Experience the historical buildings, priceless masterpieces, and friendly locals! These are some of the enchanting thoughts we all have had about unknown destinations. Maybe for the normal ten day vacation, tourists can feel this sense of satisfaction when arriving. However, what am I considered?
         I am a full-blooded American living in Florence, Italy. The fast-paced, convenient, hard-working society of my country is what bases my personality. My comfort zone has been tampered with. I am no longer a tourist. I wash and dry my clothes myself, I buy food at the market to cook everyday, I walk to school and run errands just like any other local. The only difference... I cant speak Italian.
         As you all know, I am a proud extrovert, and not being able to connect with the locals who are fed up with tourists, is difficult for me. My positive attitude has not disintegrated though. For example, today I went and explored by myself and ate at Eby's. The burrito I had was made by an Ecuadorian lady who made one of the best burritos I have ever had. It was only 4 euro. I have to put myself out there more than I ever have to make friends.
         Being out of my comfort zone is teaching me a lot about myself and life. I have a new respect for my country and where I live. I am discovering what is truly important; life is too short to spend it worrying. Every museum, artwork, or building I experience, I am reminded of how these people left their footprint for others to admire. Eventhough they are gone forever, their lives will always be remembered and are timeless. When I started letting the good in with the bad, my experience in Italy became purposeful. Just ask yourself, is this worth it? If it is, roll with the punches and the rewards will be plentiful!

3 comments:

  1. Natalie,
    It sounds like you are making Italy part of you. Continue to learn as much of the language as you can. This is that "magical key" that opens those doors you are yearning to walk through. This is how you get to see their country through their eyes--it opens doors to their hearths and homes--doors you never dreamed you'd open. That's how Uncle Brock and I have seen the places we've visited.
    You will also be amazed at how much of these experiences you will continue to enjoy more and more as you process all of this for months to come. You are, indeed, very fortunate to have this opportunity at this stage of your life.
    Continue to enjoy it to the fullest.

    Uncle Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Uncle Paul! I will work on the language barrier more, and I am enjoying my blessed trip! Thank you for your love and thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, keep trying....I agree with Cousin Paul....BUT I suggest you actually get an Italian english translation dictionary and just "talk" Italian.....I PROMISE you the locals will appreciate your efforts! Keep open for new experiences, and try couchsurfing.com.....I found a lot of people "open" for just cafe discussions. Ciao, Uncle Hub

    ReplyDelete