Tuesday, June 7, 2011

God reaches student in Rome

            Rome’s churches taught me a lot of history and also a little about myself.  The culture shock of being in a new city with different values reached a spiritual place in my own heart.  The familiar feeling of God’s love is proclaimed and unashamed in this culture.  The ancient churches and basilicas show proudly the Catholic faith, and the Roman culture is based around it.  Slowing down my lifestyle to appreciate what is important in life is my goal.
            We first toured St. Peter’s Basilica, the largest Christian church in the world, located within the Vatican City.  The architecture of the interior and exterior was phenomenal.  It is the burial site of the first pope, St. Peter, since the many popes have been interred there.  The building’s beauty set my expectations for the other churches and basilicas I would see later that weekend.  I enjoyed the Michelangelo statue called the Pietà.  Mother Mary was shown holding Jesus in her arms.  The sadness on her face and the weak portrayal of Jesus impacted the viewers greatly and is valued highly at the basilica.  Looking back on my experience there, I acted like an ignorant tourist when I didn’t seem to appreciate the basilica and its significance.  Realizing what it means to the people and to history is exceptional.
            The Pantheon was built as a temple dedicated to all gods.  In 609, the emperor at that time gave it to the Pope who converted it to a Christian church.  The building’s architecture is a perfect sphere and has a hole at the top to let light in.  The light hitting the marble floor and wall décor portrays a sense of peace and amazement.  I sat at the altar and stared at the cross in the center surrounded by candles.  I felt blessed to be in such a historical building where millions of people have worshipped God.
            The Jesuit churches impacted my faith the greatest.  As soon as I entered the church of the Gesu, my jaw dropped. The most striking features of the church were the ceiling fresco and the chandeliers.  The way the light captured the church created a feeling of warmth and love.  My experience was not only physical, but very spiritual.  I sat down and felt God convicting me with love.  I prayed for Pedro and his family to have peace and love through the tragic death of his brother.  Suddenly, I felt tears run down my cheeks.  I observed an Italian man praying underneath the light shining down on him.  I asked for forgiveness of my sins and for God to place peace in my heart to deal with being homesick.  I felt close to God in that church, and I will always remember that moment.  The church of Gesu was more than just a beautiful historical building, it was a memory of a moment God and I shared.
San Luigi dei Francesi then became significant to me.  Mass was in session, so I was able to experience some of what the locals experience.  The priests were meeting together while the church members sat praying and waiting.  The interior décor was, again, astonishing.  Sections of the church displayed artwork, baptisms, and other significant aspects of the Christian faith.  Candles lit up Jesus’ face and people would pray and talk to the Father.  Even though I could not understand the language, I understood their love and faith in the Lord.
Rome will always be remembered as a historical Christian city.  Rome was the only place that other countries did not bomb based upon the beauty and history it holds.  The lesson is to take everything slow and remember the important aspects of life.  I hope to soon transition from being a tourist to becoming a true resident.  The culture shock of the religion affected my relationship with God, and I will take with me the moments I shared with Him at each church.



1 comment:

  1. Wow what an amazing trip, the churches and experiences through faith sounded like they were truly a moment where you are at a loss for words. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete